Chipmaker MediaTek on Wednesday announced the arrival of its MediaTek Dimensity 9000 5G chipset in Kenya. The chipset is the world’s first TSMC chip built on the 4nm process and uses Arm’s new v9 architecture promising users faster performance and better power efficiency.
The new Dimensity 9000 processor is expected to be used by flagship smartphones in 2022 and 2023, a premium segment that is mostly ruled by Qualcomm. TECNO’s Phantom X2 for example has been tipped to come with this chip which is more powerful than the previous top-tier Dimensity chips of MediaTek, according to the company.
“The MediaTek Dimensity 9000 is a milestone for MediaTek, highlighting our rise to incredible with a true flagship 5G smartphone chip. This chip signals MediaTek and our Dimensity family have entered a new phase of innovation,” said Rami Osman, Director, Corporate Sales and Marketing MEA, MediaTek. “The MediaTek Dimensity 9000 is one of the most powerful and energy-efficient chip, delivering a number of industry firsts and a full suite of features for the most discerning tech enthusiasts.”
MediaTek Dimensity 9000 octa-core CPU has one ultra-Cortex-X2 core operating at up to 3.05GHz, three performance A710 cores operating at up to 2.85GHz, and four efficiency Cortex-A510 cores. With the integrated LPDDR5X supporting up to 7500Mbps, along with an 8MB L3 cache and 6MB system cache, the MediaTek Dimensity 9000 is built for the massive bandwidth demands of the mobile market.
Additionally, the chipset integrates MediaTek’s fifth generation Application Processor Unit (APU 5.0), which offers 4X power efficiency gains compared to the previous generation APU, for the ideal balance of performance and power efficiency, for a wide range of AI multimedia, gaming, camera, and video experiences.
MediaTek Dimensity 9000 packs the world’s first Arm Mali-G710 MC10 GPU in a smartphone chip. To further boost performance, the chipset integrates MediaTek’s HyperEngine 5.0, the fifth generation of MediaTek’s innovative gaming technology. HyperEngine 5.0 uses AI-acceleration to optimise graphics while reducing the GPU load, resulting in faster gameplay that looks better and is more power efficient than ever. HyperEngine also integrates AI-VRS, the first AI-enhanced variable rate shading technology for smartphones, along with the industry’s first raytracing software development kit (SDK) using Vulkan for Android.
Key features of MediaTek Dimensity 9000 include:
- MediaTek Imagiq 790: The chipset’s flagship 18-bit HDR-ISP. The world’s first to support 320MP on smartphones, and the world’s first to support simultaneous triple camera 18-bit HDR video recording. The powerful 9Gpixel/s ISP also supports 4K HDR Video + AI noise reduction that enables the highest quality results even in extreme low-light conditions.
- Leading 3GPP Release-16 5G Modem: The integrated 5G modem amplifies sub-6GHz performance up to 7Gbps downlink using 3CC Carrier Aggregation (300MHz). It also features the world’s first R16 UL enhancement and continues MediaTek’s dual SIM leadership with new 5G/4G Dual SIM Dual Active (DSDA) support. The modem also integrates the new MediaTek 5G UltraSave 2.0 power-saving enhancement suite for improved efficiency.
- MediaTek MiraVision 790: The chipset can support the latest 144Hz WQHD+ displays or super-fast 180Hz Full HD+ displays, while optimising power efficiency with MediaTek’s Intelligent Display Sync 2.0 technology. Furthermore, MediaTek’s latest Wi-Fi Display technology can support up to 4K60 HDR10+ video.
- Wi-Fi 6E, New GNSS with Beidou III-B1C and New Bluetooth 5.3: Smartphone users can enjoy seamless connectivity thanks to the chipset’s support for the latest Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GNSS standards.
- Dimensity 5G Open Resource Architecture: The Dimensity 9000 allows the world’s leading smartphone device makers to create customised flagship 5G smartphones that stand out.
The chip is supported by some of the world’s biggest device makers and can be experienced locally through the Tecno Phantom X2 smartphone.
MediaTek also recently launched the flagship MediaTek Dimensity 9200, one of the latest in the MediaTek Dimensity series offering extreme performance and intelligent power efficiency, bringing immersive all-day gaming experiences, ultra-sharp image capturing, and support for mmWave 5G and sub-6GHz connectivity to consumers globally. The chip has notably brighter image capturing and improved gaming speeds, along with the latest display enhancements, promising new possibilities for next-gen smartphones that come in a variety of stylish and foldable form factors.
Follow us on Telegram, Twitter, and Facebook, or subscribe to our weekly newsletter to ensure you don’t miss out on any future updates. Send tips to firstname.lastname@example.org