Starting today, Mac owners can try out the preview versions of Office 2021. It follows Microsoft’s February announcement of releasing a new version of Office for this year. The stable version will be introduced later this year for both Windows and macOS.
However, mac users get a chance to try out the software ahead of the full release.
The preview version is supported on the three most recent versions of macOS: macOS Big Sur (11), macOS Catalina (10.15), and macOS Mojave (10.14).
You also need to have at least 4 GB of memory and 10 GB of free storage. Yes, Office 2021 for Mac (Preview) has native support for both Apple Silicon and Intel-based Macs.
New features include;
- Line Focus, which removes distractions so that you can move through a Word document line by line.
- XLOOKUP function to help you find things in a table or range by row in an Excel worksheet.
- Dynamic array support in Excel, including new functions that make use of dynamic arrays.
- Record a slide show with narration in PowerPoint.
Microsoft has been selfish on the full details of what is coming in Office 2021 across Windows and Mac. Expect more details about the new version close to the official release.
To install Office 2021 for Mac (Preview):
- Download the installer package file(1.8GB) and install it. If you have Office 2019 for Mac, ensure you have at least Version 16.48.
- Download Volume License (VL) Serializer package file(13MB)
- Run the VL Serializer package file.
Microsoft also released a preview for the Office Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) for Windows. The LTSC version and Office 2021 for Mac and Windows include a one-time purchase model like the previous Office 2019. This is opposite Microsoft Office 365, a cloud-based alternative that is paid for month to month.
The LTSC version, however, is crafted for commercial users with a 5-year support period.