Uber has a new feature that allows users to send packages to each other through the app
Uber has announced the launch of Uber Connect, a feature that allows users to send packages to family friends through the app.
The product provides a cost-effective same-day, no-contact delivery solution for family and friends while encouraging them to remain at home and practice social distancing.
“During this crisis, we have been working around the clock to find innovative ways to leverage our technology to assist consumers to move essential care packages while also enhancing earnings opportunities for drivers on our platform.” Aaron Tindiseega, Country Manager for Uber in Uganda says.
Uber Connect can be used to deliver a variety of items such as care packages, groceries and much-needed supplies to loved ones while ensuring all social distancing and government directives are followed. With virtual gatherings becoming the new reality, special occasions and family traditions can still be memorable as Uber connects loved ones by moving what matters the most.
How it works:
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant.
- Tell your driver ‘Where to?’ in your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the ride (you may have to swipe up for the option)
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your driver-partner is arriving, just as you would with an UberX trip. As you see the car approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the car boot.
- Share the trip status with up to 5 people in your contact list. Unless it’s a surprise gift, one of these should be the recipient so they can easily monitor the delivery’s progress.
Safety remains a priority and Uber says it is committed to equipping all users of the app with the information needed to keep safe.
To date, Uber has been working with manufacturers and distributors to provide drivers with disinfectants and cloth masks as well as tips to follow to help keep the Uber community safe. Uber is also providing up to 14 days of financial assistance to drivers diagnosed with COVID-19 or ordered to self-quarantine by a doctor or public health authority, including where they have a pre-existing health condition that puts them at higher risk.
Follow us on Telegram, Twitter, Facebook, or subscribe to our weekly newsletter to ensure you don’t miss out on any future updates.