Facebook has launched a new Messenger tool that will allow users to share their location with others. The Live Location feature will let users share their location for an hour within a private direct or group message thread.
If you choose to share your Live Location, will also be able to see an estimate of how long it would take to get to other’s locations by car.
This, according to Facebook makes it simple and seamless for you to choose to share where you are with your friends and family (The ETA is seen by the person with whom the location is shared.)
To use live location:
- Tap the location button inside the message thread. You can also find it in the more menu.
- Tap the blue bar on the map on the map to start sharing your live location.
- The recipient will be able to see where you are on a map for the next 60 minutes.
- You’ll be able to see an estimate of how long it would take to get to others’ locations by car.
- There is a small clock in the lower right-hand corner of the map which lets you know how much longer you’re sharing your location for. You can hit stop at any time.
The new update also lets you share a static point on a map too. For example, if you want to tell a friend to meet you at Yaya Center, tap the location pin or more icon, and instead of choosing Share Live Location, tap the rea pin in the upper right hand corner. From there you can search for Yaya Center, or you can drag and drop the pin on the map, then tap and send.
Facebook now joins Apple and Google in providing its own location sharing, location tracking service.
What do you think about this new feature? Leave us a comment in the comments section below.